Center for Population Health Research
What is population health?
It has been defined in the broadest sense as addressing large-scale social, economic and environmental issues that impact health outcomes of groups of people. As a scientific discipline, it adds a holistic perspective that seeks to improve decision-making so as to reduce inequities or disparities in health care delivery. And it emphasizes the value of care — that is, the quality and outcomes for patients — rather than the volume of services provided.
The Main Line Health Center for Population Health Research (CPHR) at the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research is a collaboration between Main Line Health and Thomas Jefferson University's (TJU) College of Population Health. Professor Sharon Larson, PhD, is the executive director of CPHR and has a faculty appointment in TJU's College of Population Health.
Our research findings are useful not only to the populations served by Main Line Health, but also to the Philadelphia region and other communities nationwide as the health care paradigm continues to shift.
About the Center for Population Health Research
CPHR was established in 2016 as an intentional plan by Main Line Health to identify and address:
- Community and system-level disparities in health care
- Opportunities for quality improvement in patient care
- Strategies for promoting improved health outcomes among patients
Value-based care delivery is thoughtfully considered as an outcome associated with care improvement for all who are served by Main Line Health. We focus on opportunities to collaborate with clinical partners to understand real-world health care delivery and health outcomes.
- Social equity in health care delivery and outcomes
- Cancer care delivery
- Women’s heart health and care delivery
- Substance use disorders and mental health
- Health care workforce development
Population health resources
Below are organizations and departments with which CPHR has partnered or that offer information helpful to those researchers focused on population health.
- Jefferson College of Population Health
- 1889 Foundation
- Neu Center
- Center for Health Organization and Transformation (CHOT)
- HealthShare Exchange
- Health Care Systems Research Network
- American Public Health Association
- American Hospital Association
- Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement